12/27 • SHIFT DRESS OR TOP • Advanced Beginner Sewing, December 27 (10-5 pm) Friday$105.00
This loose shift is both comfortable and elegant, the perfect wardrobe staple. Choose from three different lengths: a cropped top, above-the-knee dress, or calf-length dress with side slits. The top has a plain back, while the dress has added fullness from back gathers. Patch pockets, waist tie, and three quarter length sleeve options are included. Neck is finished with an easy-to-sew facing.
SKILLS LEARNED •
• creating gathering
• elastic casing
• creating your perfect fit
• button holes (or not if you choose to do a faux button placket)
MATERIALS REQUIRED • 10% off at Cattywampus for class participants
• light to mid-weight fabric with good drape - see pattern for specific yardage
• 1/4 yd lightweight fusible interfacing to add structure to neck facing (optional)
• Shift Dress + Top Pattern by Wiksten (we have printed patterns available at Cattywampus or you can buy a PDF download and send the file to the Ojai Business Center to have it printed on their large format printer)
TIME • 7 hours
Please note that the project may take additional time outside of class to complete.
PREREQUISITE • SEWING MACHINE 101 or equivalent skills (comfortable with basic functions of a sewing machine and sewing straight seams)
TEACHER • Kathleen Blackmur is a passionate home sewer committed to making the majority of her wardrobe. If you're looking for handmade clothing inspiration, Kathleen is your source! She is a retired elementary school teacher, so she's super pro at teaching as well. We promise you'll come away from any of her classes having learned new tips and techniques.
Classes and workshops can be refunded if the event is more than 5 days from the date of the refund request. Classes may be canceled within 2 days of the event if there are not enough registrations, in which case a full refund would be provided.