PERSEPHONE PANTS • Intermediate Sewing Class, October 20 & 21 (11-5 pm) Saturday & Sunday$180.00
The Persephone Pants are the hottest project in the sewing world right now and for good reason! These pants are incredibly flattering on all figures and insanely comfortable. The pattern is based on men’s 1920s to 40s US Navy sailor pants. These pants are unique in that they do not contain side seams. The front and back pant legs are cut from one piece. It has a concealed button fly, front waist in-seam pockets, belt loops, and two back waist shaping darts. Persephone is a high waist pants and shorts PDF sewing pattern. View A: Cropped length pants + View B: Cut-off shorts. Intended to be made with woven non-stretch fabrics, however 3% to 5% stretch woven fabrics can also be used. The button fly and waist are the most challenging sewing parts, but with our fabulous instructor by your side, you'll come out impressed with yourself and loving your new favorite pants! Please be familiar with using your sewing machine's button hole feature before coming to class (as everyone's is a little different). We have a good selection of fabrics and buttons for this project at Cattywampus, which are 10% off for class participants. The pattern is a PDF download, so you will need to purchase and print it ahead of time. The pattern is sized from US 0 to 20. Check out the many wonderful versions of the #persephonepants on Instagram to get inspired!
SKILLS LEARNED •
• making accurate body measurements
• constructing a button fly
• creating in-seam pockets
MATERIALS REQUIRED •
• 3-3.25 yards heavy/bottom weight woven fabric (i.e. denim, canvas, twill - no stretch)
• 1/4 yard mid weight woven fabric for pocket lining
• 1/4 yard interfacing
• matching thread
• denim sewing machine needles
• heavy duty button thread for buttons
• 4 to 5 5/8-inch buttons for button fly
• 3/4 or 7/8-inch button for waist
• Wonder Clips
• Persephone Pants & Shorts pattern (purchase on Etsy - bring to class printed and taped together or have the business center print on a large format printer)
• basic sewing kit: seam ripper, tape measure, pins, tailor's chalk/marker, seam gauge, fabric scissors
• sewing machine (or rent one of ours for $10)
TIME • 12 hours (2 x 6 hour classes)
PREREQUISITE • Any two sewing classes beyond SEWING MACHINE 101. You should be very comfortable and familiar with the features of your sewing machine, especially switching stitches and tension, button holes, changing needles, and threading the machine.
TEACHER • Kathleen Blackmur is an enthusiastic home sewer who happily shares her tips and techniques for making wearable, lovable clothes. She is working towards a predominantly handmade wardrobe and loves being so connected to the things surrounding her everyday.
Classes cannot be refunded if the event is within 5 days. Classes may be canceled within 2 days of the event if there are not enough registrations, in which case a full refund of the class fee would be provided.